Legisislative Rights for Parrots
Supporting People Who Support Parrots
MOU for Rescues
We are dedicated to helping our fellow birds and reputable rescues. What is a reputable rescue? Go to our Bills Page and see our minimal standards of care. So far, the rescues we have visted have surpassed our minimal level of care we expect. Want to see them for yourself? Click HERE to see the bills and Standards of Care. We will be adding educational requirements to the bills per request of those who has commented and met with our board members. Otherwise, open the DOCX below to see the proposed Standards of Care.
Here is an example of a Memorandum of Understanding. It outlines the communication and responsibilities between Officials such as animal control and the Rescue, the facility that take in abused or neglected birds. We hope this helps establish a stronger relationship between the parties and bridges a gap whereby parrots are better supported.
Memorandum of Understanding for Rescues
Memorandum of Understanding
Governmental Authorities and Pet Bird Rescues
This agreement shall remain valid from
(Month, day, year)___________________________ to (Month, day, year___________________________
This agreement outlines communication for pet birds in need including but not limited to potential abuse, neglect, or smuggling. This MOU agrees that:
1. Governmental Authorities to contact the signed rescue(s) for appropriate services including but not limited to providing professional observation and assessment of circumstances and taking in birds for emergency and non-emergency purposes, providing first aid care and offer to take the pet bird(s) to veterinary services.
2. To allow the rescue to house and provide for the bird(s) properly during confiscation, litigation or other purposes.
The rescue(s) providing such services agree to:
1. Maintain proper care for the bird(s) while in their care and remain temporary sole custody during the period of investigation or litigation.
2. Collect written documentation on the care of the bird(s) on site and veterinary care services when provided.
3. Hold harmless Governmental Authorities for any processing of paperwork including the location where the bird(s) temporarily reside(s).
Both Governmental Authorities and Rescue(s) agree:
1. Collaboration on records for the best interest of the bird(s) and for court purposes.
2. Promptly resolve communication difficulties within 72 hours.
3. Obey state and federal laws.
4. Follow confidentiality regulations for the information pertaining to clients
5. Rescues allowing Governmental Authorities in their rescue or volunteer home location where the bird(s) temporarily reside.
6. Re-homing of the bird is only allowed through written consent of the Governing Authority such as courts or the owner of said bird(s).
7. Rescue(s) may require cost for the bird(s) care prior to relinquishment of said bird(s) to owner paid in full.
Government Authority: _____________________________________ Date:____________
Rescue Rep:_________________________________________________ Date:___________
You may also download the above MOU here: